June 21, 2009

I heart California! (and perspective)

I arrived in California Saturday afternoon. I am here in Long Beach visiting Charlotte for a few days. This is her first "free" summer with no classes (PhD in Psych - go Char!) so I had to come see her so we could catch up and do fun Cali things! It has been an adjustment having her so far away, so I really cherish the times when we do get to get together. And of course, I love any excuse to travel, come to California (where I was born) and gain some perspective.

Perspective on vacation??? Absolutely! I've always found that getting out of my little box, my little rut, my little corner of the globe and experiencing life in another place always gives me perspective. Being near the ocean, the vastness, the beauty of God's creation - perspective. Seeing/meeting people who think differently, live differently, choose differently - perspective. Knowing that Charlotte drives around f-o-r-e-v-e-r to find parking or has to pay to park near her own flat - perspective. So I am welcoming the perspective and trying to soak up all that I am learning about life and learning about myself. That in itself is a fabulous vacation for the mind, body and spirit. However, we do have fun things planned!

Here are some of the things we have planned. I will post pics soon. *beach, beach, beach* *kayaking in the canals* *riding bikes up and down sea wall* *eating, drinking and being merry* *visiting with Tussany & Bryan and Tussany's baby bump!* *staying up way late talking about everything and nothing* *perfecting the art of making mojitos*

I found these quotes and really liked them.

As far as the Moon is concerned, he is always full. ~Nathaniel LeTonnerre, translated

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. ~Anaïs Nin

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street, I met a man who had no feet.
~Denis Waitely


The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning. ~Ivy Baker Priest

No comments: