July 12, 2009

More than just a title ...

Picking a title for one's blog is a hard thing to do. At least for me it was. Should I be clever? Should I be straightforward and to the point? Trying to be real and creative and sum up all you want to say in one title is a difficult task at best. And then I remembered a poem I wrote.



I write poetry. Mostly for me, even though some has been published. One poem that I wrote last year really sums up the journey I've been on. Throughout all my searching of who I am, what I believe, the working out of my faith daily and the growing I've done somehow worked itself out beautifully in a poem.



Many of you know that my heart's desire is to be a wife and a mother. Since I was 5 years old, that is what I wanted to be. That is what I've always known I was created to be. And although I still wait for the Lord to fulfill that in my life, and although I carry on with my career and my friends and my travels, I still long for that. I've had an amazing life and it has been so interesting to see what God had planned rather than what I had planned. And even though I have stumbled, God's grace and mercy has taken all the pieces of my broken heart and made it whole and beautiful. It's the whole beauty for ashes theme (I have another poem on that!) that I love so much. Even though my heart may not be as pristine as I had hoped it would be, it has been made whole and beautiful - a work of art - a work of God.



So here is my poem that explains my title and maybe gives you another glimpse into me.






Stained Glass Heart

Once broken by heartache on the broken road,
no longer broken the treasure is whole.

In my hands I hold a priceless gift -
every piece tells a story of growth and grace,
every color a beautiful reminder of faith.

Connected and made whole by an everlasting promise.
Illuminated and sealed by the light of His love.

One day I’ll present this precious work of art,
as I offer to him my stained glass heart.


By: Jennifer E. Barnes
2008




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your blog, Jen (plus your name - yahoo!). Thanks for being so willing to be open and share about your hopes, dreams, short comings & all that you hope to become. I'm blessed that our lives have once again crossed - each of us much different and changed than we were as teens, but in some ways, still the same girls we were back then. To borrow one of your favorite expressions...I *heart* you. Hugs & love, Jennifer Stewart Sterner